Videos are now an irreplaceable part of every marketing strategy. It became the most popular content choice among online consumers today. During the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, modern consumers have increased their online video consumption by 96 percent. Today, an average person spends 100 minutes watching online videos per day. By 2022, Cisco predicted that online videos will cover 82 percent of internet traffic. This is 15 times higher than it used to be in 2017.
A digital marketing speaker Hong Kong, around 54 percent of consumers expect to see more videos from brands and businesses they support. It is because they retain more of the video messaging than any other type of content. No wonder, 84 percent of people have been convinced to buy a product or service after watching a brand’s video.
Marketers who use video as part of their ads and campaign strategies have grown their revenue 49 percent faster than non-video users. Through videos, a brand or business can get 66 percent more qualified leads every year. This may be the reason why 86 percent of businesses today employ video as a marketing tool.
Video is a great marketing solution. But like other types of content, they evolve, and their consumption changes. As human attention becomes more selective, how long should your next social media video be? We’ve got you covered here!
The ideal video length for both an organic or paid Facebook video is 15 seconds. A social media agency Hong Kong recommends keeping your Facebook short and sweet as much as possible. A Facebook video with a length of 2 minutes has often seen great engagement. The longer your Facebook video is, the more dramatically its engagement decreases. Facebook has several types of videos. These include:
- Facebook Reels that can last between 1 to 60 seconds. Please note that this format is still under testing.
- Facebook Stories that can last between 1 to 120 seconds.
- Facebook In-Stream that can last between 5 seconds to 120 seconds.
- Facebook Feed videos that can last up to 240 minutes.
- Facebook Marketplace videos that can last up to 240 minutes.
- Facebook Search Results videos that can last up to 240 minutes.
When it comes to a Facebook live broadcast, the limit is 8 hours. Facebook algorithms favor videos that are directly posted within the platform. So, to get better engagement and reach, be sure to post your videos directly on Facebook.
Instagram typically supports short video clips. It is because the social media network is originally a photo-sharing platform. It is only last 30th of June that Instagram Chief, Adam Mosseri, announced that Instagram is switching to a photo and video sharing platform. The ideal length for an Instagram video is 30 seconds. It is important that the videos you upload on Instagram should be visually appealing. Like Facebook, there are several types of videos on Instagram. These are:
- Instagram Video Feed that can last between 3 to 60 seconds.
- Instagram Video Feed Ads that can also last between 3 to 60 seconds.
- Instagram Reels that can last up to 30 seconds.
- Instagram Stories that can last up to 15 seconds.
- Instagram Stories Video Ads that can also last up to 15 seconds.
- Instagram TV or IGTV can last up to 10 minutes for regular accounts and up to 60 minutes for large verified accounts.
- Instagram live streaming allows a limit of up to 4 hours.
If you want to level up your videos on Instagram, be sure to take advantage of hashtags. The platform allows the use of 30 hashtags on regular posts and 10 on Stories. But don’t overdo it. Only use relevant hashtags to boost the engagement of your videos on Instagram. Looping videos are also a great feature of Instagram. They can keep your audience engage and lengthen their viewing time.
YouTube is the largest video-sharing platform in the world. As such, it is well-known for longer video content. The ideal video length for YouTube depends on the category of the video and the type of audience you are targeting.
A video marketing agency Hong Kong notes that YouTube can accommodate long-form videos of up to 12 hours in length. This is equivalent to 256 GB of data. YouTubers may see videos longer than 12 hours. But these are the older ones. The 12-hour limit has only been imposed recently by YouTube. Among regular YouTube videos, shooting for 7 to 15 minutes is the best-performing ones.
When you are using videos on YouTube for marketing purposes, videos that are no longer the 2 minutes offer the best results. There are several types of video ads on YouTube. These are:
- Bumper Ads are non-skippable video ads that last up to 6 seconds.
- Non-Skippable video ads that can last between 15 to 20 seconds.
- Skippable video ads that can last between 12 seconds to 6 minutes.